Too long? Information, Carson Pass on Highway 88 to Mount Reba just North of Lake Alpine on Highway 4. Group size limits apply to both overnight and day-use visitors. Group Size Limits Check out, The Pacific Crest Trail route Vs. (Neither are the trail routes or the red dots yet laid out, though I've labeled some of the features in the Emigrant Wilderness. The Leavitt Lake trailhead offers the shortest access to the Sierra high country of the eastern Emigrant Wilderness and northern Hoover Wilderness Areas. We entered the Stanislaus National Forest far from any trail head where we crossed the North Fork of the Mokelumne River at Camp Irene. Aspen Meadow Pack Station operates in the Stanislaus National Forest and Emigrant Wilderness under permit from the U.S. Forest Service. A wilderness permit is required year-round for backpacking or any other overnight stay in the Yosemite Wilderness. Figure out the mileage. to PCT section hikers should seriously consider these two route variations, the first across the Emigrant Wilderness to walk into Kennedy Meadows from the North Yosemite Backcountry, as well as our second option of hiking down to Lake Alpine from the Northern Carson Iceberg Wilderness. Images and Information: ALTERNATIVE ROUTE from Mosquito Pass Junction to Snow Lake for Backpacker Magazine . Home Page, El Dorado NF I've woven various sweet routes through and around the Stanislaus along my Lake Tahoe to Mount Whitney hikes over the years, and come back repeatedly to tie them together into big loops around the higher elevation elements of both the Carson Iceberg and Emigrant Wilderness Areas. West Slope-Stanislaus Admin Figure out that mileage. We enter the Calavaras Ranger District of the Stanislaus National Forest at Camp Irene after hiking 16.45 miles South from the Carson Gap out of the Lake Tahoe Basin into the Mokelumne Wilderness administered by the Amador Ranger District of the El Dorado National Forest. The Tahoe to Yosemite and Pacific Crest Trails each craft unique routes down the Sierra Crest. Dig a small hole at least 6-8 inches deep and at least 100 feet from water, trails and campsites. Arriving at the head, the top of Kennedy Canyon we have a fine four-way view: East down Kennedy Canyon, looking at the avalanche routes clearing the forested mountain sides above Kennedy Canyon To the Southwest we view the hulking mass of Big Sam, blocking our way into the Emigrant Basin. There are several ranger stations where permits may be picked up and they can leave your permit out if you are arriving after hours. Hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail will see little of the Stanislaus National Forest. At Camp Irene we enter the Stanislaus National Forest by crossing the North Fork of the Mokelumne River. You can see where the TYT comes up from Kennedy Meadows and the difference between the PCT and TYT routes South of Sonora Pass. The Stanislaus National Forest Administers more of the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route than any other permitting authority along the TYT. The terrain is very much different as well. All photos and stories are my own and are not to be used or copied without permission. Twenty seven miles is around the very minimum distance you can make a TYT-PCT loop around the Carson Iceberg and Emigrant Wilderness, and you can easily stretch these loops out to 80 or 90 miles. Too Hard? It's easy to get permits from every Ranger Station of all three wilderness areas covered by the Stanislaus National Forest. A Supplement to the Backpacking Routes of the TYT-PCT through Emigrant Wilderness depicted on the Trail Guide. Always carry a map! Kennedy Meadows There are trailheads to Horse Canyon and Munson Meadow out of Highway 88 trailheads. A short ways to the Southeast the Toiyabe administered Hoover Wilderness wraps around the Northeastern boundary all the way down to Highway 120. All Yosemite National Park wilderness regulations apply. Weather, Central To the Northwest we look down towards Kennedy Lake and another quick way to hike down to Kennedy Meadows Pack Station. A Wilderness Permit is required for overnight visits to the Emigrant, Carson-Iceberg, and Mokelumne Wildernesses from April 1 through November 30. From the parking lot, hikers head south on Kennedy Meadows Road until it turns into a foot trail. A Wilderness Permit is required for every party camping overnight in the Emigrant Wilderness. Here's how you do it: locate your favorite PCT or TYT trailheads along Highways 4 or 108. I also planned to do some off-trail exploration in the high country. Lake Alpine While almost the entirety of the Pacific Crest Trail South of the Tahoe Basin is within the Toiyabe National Forest, so too is the entirety of the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail between Highway 4 and the Yosemite Boundary is within the Stanislaus National Forest. (Click the red dots along the TYT route for that location's trail guide page. Highway 108 This hiking will be as interesting as you make it. Check out our "Trail Culture" pages that depict this route, though I hike Southbound from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows. Affiliated groups must camp and travel separately remaining at least one mile apart at all times while in the wilderness to protect solitude and reduce physical impacts. Only one permit is required for trips which are continuous and pass through more than one Wilderness. Is it worth it? I'm hoping to plan another trip back to explore the southern side beyond Granite Dome, and I'll provide more details here! Pick up a free permit at any Stanislaus National Forest Ranger Station. Recommended Gear / Camping is prohibited within 100 feet of lakes, streams, and trails, or where posted. Mokelumne Wilderness National Forest Trail Map PDF #1 Pinecrest Lake Road Home Page, Stanislaus NF (good NF map, slow loading), Tahoe to Whitney You can only go as fast as you are able to find a route through the terrain. A quota system is in place for the 45 overnight destination zones from the Friday before Memorial Day through September 30theach year. NF PDF Trail Map, Stanislaus NF The SW side of Brown Bear Pass is composed of the distinctive pinkish-hued granite that highlights the beauty of the the High Emigrant Basin. Pacific Crest Trail Route: MODIFICATIONS for the ADVENTUROUS PCT-TYT HIKER. Lakes Wilderness the Secretary of Agriculture shall permit ... “Emigrant Wilderness Additions—Proposed”, and which are hereby incorporated in, and which shall be deemed to … The view from the shoulder of Tyron Peak is really nice. I completed my Wilderness Permit today for Three Sisters Wilderness, the home of a trio of volcanic peaks over 10,000 ft. Trail Guide Resources, Trail Guide Index WEST SLOPE to We'd start from there hiking South into the Stanislaus National Forest. I planned a 3-night trip to Emigrant Wilderness to fish Emigrant Lake and some smaller lakes. Weather Information, Ebbetts Pass Weather              Sonora Pass Weather              All Sierra Weather, TW region map Carson Pass Region, TW local mapSummit City Pacific Crest Trail hikers (Northbound) can incorporate greater experience in the Stanislaus National Forest into their hikes. (Memorial Day - Labor Day) M-Sun 8:00am to 5:pm (holidays included), Fall/Spring Hours to Northern access into the Mokelumne Wilderness of the Stanislaus National Forest along the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail is through trailheads that are located in the El Dorado National Forest 13 miles to the North along Highway 88. It's just as far as Yosemite minus the ridiculous crowds. First, you can stop at the Ranger Station during working hours and fill out a permit. The Pacific Crest Trail route Vs. It takes a bit of time to dig in to the experience. My theory is to put together the longest trip your senses and physical capability can reasonably absorb. Sonora Pass Area, TW region Map Mokelumne Wilderness These are great loops, a whole lot of fun. Map. Mokelumne Wilderness Information, Hiking Map Emigrant Wilderness Miles (real cool), Trail Guide Index That approach will get you lost. I've never stopped into or called the main office. Highway 4 All Stanislaus NF PDF Road Map A Wilderness Visitor's Permit is required for overnight visits to the Emigrant Wilderness. You can hike loops to and from your selected trailheads along the PCT or TYT on both Highway 4 and Highway 108. to I picked up my Emigrant Wilderness permit at the Summit Ranger Station right after it opened at 8:30 am. This regulation helps protect delicate lakeside vegetation, preserves solitude, protects water quality, and allows recovery of closed campsites. Wilderness between Tahoe and Whitney. To access the amazing High Sierra Hiking trails within the Stanislaus National Forest for short or medium distance backpacking trips you should divide the Stanislaus National Forest by Highway Access. The 4.5-miles hike to Chewing Gum Lake passes among wildflowers and has panoramic views of … Ebbetts Pass TRAILHEAD, Northern The Southbound Tahoe to Yosemite hiker will not see the Toiyabe National Forest again after entering Summit City Creek. You can't lose by hiking either route. Tahoe to Yosemite Trail Backpackers, Inyo Hiking Southwest through the El Dorado National Forest along Summit City Creek we will cross into the Stanislaus National Forest when we ford the North Fork of the Mokelumne River in the hushed splendor emanating from the green forest and granite isolation around "serene" Camp Irene. Carson Iceberg Wilderness Miles pdf (real cool), Tahoe to Whitney Emigrant Wilderness I was pretty skeptical when they recommended it to me since it didn’t seem to be a popular destination. The tiny Carson Pass Management Area that surrounds the Carson Pass itself is administered by the Amador Ranger District of the El Dorado National Forest. However, I quickly realized they were right and we were blown away by epic lakes, lush meadows, snow lined peaks, and endless wilderness areas to explore. High Sierra National Forests, Parks, and Wilderness Areas. Group sizes are limited to 15 people and 25 pack and saddle stock. Weather, The Stanislaus National Forest This Guide is constructed primarily for long distance backpackers hiking North to South along the length of the Sierra Nevada Crest line along the Tahoe to Yosemite, Pacific Crest, and John Muir Trails. Or first hike the classic routes of each trail, then start weaving them together. Section Hiking the TYT from Carson Pass to Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite. You cannot just put your head down and hike as fast as you can. Carson Iceberg Wilderness, Tahoe to Whitney Saint Marys Pass, TW region Map (not detailed), Hiking Map The Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route, Map Credit: Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region, "A Guide to National Forest Wilderness in California. Campfires are prohibited in the Emigrant Wilderness above 9000 feet and within one-half mile of Emigrant Lake to protect sensitive whitebark pine forests and to allow recovery of areas historically depleted of firewood. Mokelumne Wilderness Information, Trail Guide Index Wrapping Northeast Yosemite The Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route across the Northern Sierra Nevada. Since there are no trailhead quotas limiting the number of people who may enter each trailhead in the Emigrant Wilderness (except Kibbie Ridge/Lake), you do not need to reserve your permit ahead of time unless you are picking it up after hours. The Stanislaus only covers a sliver of the Southern portion of the Mokelumne Wilderness from Camp Irene South to the Wilderness Boundary across the top of Mount Reba. Camping in the Stanislaus National Forest for more than 14 consecutive days is also prohibited. Thus the National Forests, Wilderness Areas, and Special Management Zones are described as we encounter them in sequence along the various trail routes we can find, or entering the wilderness through local trailheads. Have I got some trips through the Stanislaus for you! to These locals love to hike the trails as well as administer them! From that position you can see how the Highland, Arnot, and Disaster Creek Drainages carve the terrain dropping off the Western Flank from the Sierra Nevada Crest line. Pick up a free permit at any Stanislaus National Forest Ranger Station. Comments. I have laid these options out on the Carson Iceberg Wilderness Map. It's quite a bit longer to hike down to Kennedy Meadows Pack Station along the TYT than hiking to Sonora Pass along the PCT and hitch hiking down to KM. The Lay of the Land. Lake Alpine to Saint Marys Pass, TYT Wilderness Air Quality: Who We Are: Our Partners: Monitoring and Data: Air Pollution: Law and Policy: Manager's Portal : USDA Forest Service 1400 Independence Avenue … As I often hitch-hike to trailheads, it is much easier for me if I call the Ranger Station well in advance of my departure date and talk them into sending me the permit. Camping for more than one night at Camp, Bear, Grouse, Powell or Waterhouse Lakes in the Emigrant Wilderness is prohibited in order to protect opportunities for solitude at these popular destinations. Trails The key is not starting our backpacking trip in Yosemite, but rather ending it there. Wilderness permits are only issued to a limited number people for each trailhead in order to provide outstanding opportunities for solitude, as … of the Hiking the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route North or South through Bond Pass brings us into and across the heart of the High Emigrant Wilderness. Carson Iceberg Wilderness Backpacking Loops and Trips. All National Forests These route options mixing up the best sections of the Tahoe to Yosemite and Pacific Crest Trail as you hike through the Stanislaus National Forest will add a few dozen miles, and give you a good taste of the Stanislaus National Forest if you are a Pacific Crest Trail hiker. Website Links, Hiking Resources and InformationNational Forest and Trail Guide Links. The PCT exits Yosemite through Dorothy Lake Pass, swings down to the West Walker River drainage, then turns up Kennedy Canyon to the backside of Leavitt Peak. The Western Route Trips entering Yosemite National Park Wilderness from Cherry Lake, Kibbie Ridge, or Lake Eleanor, visit any district office or call the Groveland Ranger District by phone no more than 24 hours in advance of your trip. (Trail map -- Forest map) Getting There / If not, or if I got it wrong, add you information or hit me up through the comments link below. June 11, 2020: FREE permits are required for overnight visits to the wilderness areas. Yosemite National Park, Stanislaus National Forest They don't like to do this anymore, as the Ranger Stations are running real short of money. The Tahoe to Yosemite Trail hikes across the long length of the Stanislaus National Forest. You'll need a permit for this loop so make sure to stop by the Summit District Ranger Station in … Weather, Stanislaus National Forest linksCarson Pass Carson Gap to Lake Alpine, TYT The Toiyabe administers the Eastern Sierra Flank from Lake Tahoe South to Highway 120. Wilderness Areas But let's not get out of balance, as the Stanislaus National Forest administers amazing terrain in the Mokelumne, Carson Iceberg, and Emigrant Wilderness along the West flank of the Sierra Crest. Tahoe to Yosemite Trail Backpacker You can easily hike down to Kennedy Meadows Pack Station by entering the Emigrant Wilderness of the Stanislaus National forest through Bond Pass rather than exiting Yosemite into the Toiyabe National Forest through Dorothy Lake Pass. Contact Information, Big Picture Map Permit & Season Information. Wilderness Permits. Taking more time, or should I say investing more time exploring the terrain has its advantages. Section Hiking the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail Hwy 120 Elevations, Stanislaus National Forest It takes that long just to begin to adjust to the rigors and rewards of backcountry life, dust off your natural perspectives, and then cover enough territory to get a feel for the depth, as well as the length and breadth of the beauty in and around you. It takes about 3h to get there (via PineCrest) Permit: Permits are required for any overnight trip in Emigrant wilderness. Beauties and Benefits of the Stanislaus National Forest If you will be arriving outside of regular business hours, please call ahead to have a permit left in the after-hours pick-up boxes. The Northern entrance into the Stanislaus National Forest along the TYT is a difficult way to enter the forest. Stanislaus National Forest Stanislaus National Forest Map. Shortcutting of trail switchbacks is prohibited. This route variation allows the TYT hiker to see the upper reaches of the East Fork of the Carson River. A wilderness visitor permit is required for all overnight trips into the wilderness. This folded map covers Emigrant as well as neighboring Carson-Iceberg and Mokelumne Wilderness Areas. Both the TYT and the PCT routes through the Carson Iceberg Wilderness are described, along with discussions about alternative routes to the main trails and the different backpacking loop options you have. I strongly suggest that you break off from the TYT to connect up with the PCT at Wolf Creek Pass if you are hiking the TYT Southbound out of Lake Alpine. Carson Pass to Lake Alpine, TYT-PCT Highway 4 offers access into the Southern Mokelumne and Northern Carson Iceberg Wilderness while Highway 108 accesses the Southern Carson Iceberg and Northern Emigrant Wilderness. Along Highway 4 we find a series of trailheads South into the Carson Iceberg Wilderness of the Stanislaus National Forest. Stanislaus National Forest, Backpacking Carson Iceberg Wilderness pdf, Stanislaus NF Miles MapCarson-Iceberg Wilderness Miles, Stanislaus NF Miles MapEmigrant Wilderness Miles, Stanislaus NF Miles In return the PCT hiker will be rewarded by the seclusion of the hike down Highland Creek, the great granite terrain along lower Highland Creek, close-up views of the great volcanic mass of The Dardanelles, and the satisfaction of walking into Lake Alpine. I first heard about the area from my parents who backpacked there for weeks at a time hopping from lake to lake. P.O. Though we exited the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit when we crossed out of the natural confines of the Lake Tahoe Basin through the Carson Gap, the Sierra crestline running North and South through Carson Pass on Highway 88 is the de-facto boundary dividing the Toiyabe National Forest's territory on the Eastern side of the Sierra crest line against the El Dorado's administration of the Western flank. We will pull our permit from whichever Ranger District covers our beginning trailhead. Especially PCT section hikers, who generally take more time, take more scrambles, and take more side-routes. As you head down Summit Creek between this terrain created by fire and ice the incredible bulk of Granite Chief rises out of the terrain, like a great island of granite surrounded by an ancient sea of frozen lava. Check out the links in the side bar for more info from the Stanislaus National Forest. (Click the red dots along the TYT route for that location's trail guide page. Carson-Iceberg Wilderness Maps (to purchase), Stanislaus NF Topo Hiking Map Most Pacific Crest Trail hikers hitch-hike down Highway 108 to Kennedy Meadows from Sonora Pass. Sonora Pass, TW region Map Disposing of body waste and wash water within 100 feet of any water source is prohibited to protect water quality. Emigrant Wilderness is located 160 miles west of San Francisco. Coming South out of the Tahoe Basin, the Stanislaus is our gateway into the Western sections of these these three beautiful wilderness areas, the sections of these wilderness areas that the heavy traffic of the PCT does not cross, preferably explored while hiking the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail, or next best, for short or medium distance backpacking loops and trips exploring the Carson Iceberg and Emigrant Wilderness, and finally, for hiking sections of the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail. to Pack Station, Highway 108 On the Eastern Side of the Northern Sierra the Toiyabe National Forest administers the Eastern sections of the Mokelumne and Carson Iceberg Wilderness. We also enter the little Southern nub of the Mokelumne Wilderness between Camp Irene to the top of Mount Reba that the Stanislaus National Forest administers. The PCT route down the length Eastern Sierra between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite is predominantly within the Toiyabe National Forest. Visitors must obtain a Wilderness permit for overnight camping as well as day visits, year-round. Map routes are a combination of GPS data and manually created waypoints and should be used for reference only. Wilderness Information, Stanislaus National Forest Permit / This makes hiking between Lake Tahoe and Tuolumne Meadows something that needs to be done at least four times, once to check out each route, and a second time to get to know them a little better, a third trip to put together the best parts of both trails, and a fourth trip just for fun, to fully deploy your knowledge and explore the relationships between these two classic High Sierra Hiking Routes. PERMIT INFORMATION, Emigrant, Carson Iceberg, and Mokelumne Wilderness Areas, The Key Points The Carson Pass itself is administered by a special zone, the Carson Pass Management Area. Emigrant Wilderness Downloadable PDFs, Stanislaus NF From short overnight fast-packing getaways to a week-long trek with a loaded pack, the 113,000-acre Emigrant Wilderness may not be as popular as Yosemite, but it is definitely worth the trip. The system disperses visitors throughout the area, providing an opportunity for solitude and reflection. Saint Marys Pass to Tuolumne Meadows, Paper Maps Online Length of Stay What suites you?Here's my account of a TYT-PCT loop out of Lake Alpine South to Boulder Lake along the TYT. Sonora Pass Corridor Trail Guide Thanks Dave, Dianne, and Shannon! Unless you exercise some of these same route options, and weave-in elements of the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail into your PCT hike through these same connector trails mentioned above and in the trail guide. Long and Short Distance Section Hiking the Western Sierra across the Stanislaus National Forest. Hiking the Length of the Stanislaus National Forest, The Scope I prefer to craft my own routes through here, depending on how I'm feeling and what I want to see.). Those times I've went, I can count the number of people I've run into on two hands. The Stanislaus NF has very well informed, helpful, and delightfully friendly people. Others, such as the Desolation Wilderness, require permits for any activity including day hikes. My second way-cool alternative route is to cut off of the Pacific Crest Trail route at Wolf Creek Pass in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness to hike down to an optional PCT resupply, and a mandatory big fresh meal at Lake Alpine Lodge via Highland Creek and the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route. The Eastern sections of both the Mokelumne and Carson Iceberg Wilderness sit within the Toiyabe National Forest. The Mokelumne, Carson-Iceberg, and Emigrant Wilderness. Bits of the Mokelumne, Carson Iceberg Wilderness, All of Emigrant in the Our legs thanked us at the end of the hike! Sierra Carson-Iceberg Wilderness Or we can hitch down to Kennedy Meadows, resupply, and follow the TYT route South out of Kennedy Meadows to our Bond Pass entry into Yosemite where we will rejoin with the PCT route for the majority of the remaining hike down to Tuolumne Meadows. Summertime Permit Station near the Dardenelle Store just West of Kennedy Meadows along Highway 108. Also, one night camping before your trip is permitted there at the trailhead. Emigrant Wilderness . In short, the PCT hiker only gets a taste of the Stanislaus NF, and the TYT hiker only gets a couple of brief glances East at the Toiyabe NF. Mokelumne Wilderness, Highway 88 Miles and Elevations, TYT If you will be arriving outside of regular business hours, please call ahead to have a permit left in the after-hours pick-up boxes. Follow "Leave No Trace" practices. That's too bad, as the Stanislaus has a lot of beautiful terrain that PCT hikers miss.And I'm very happy that the PCT skirts around the heart of the Emigrant Wilderness. An icon used to represent a menu that can be toggled by interacting with this icon. Click on an itinerary image to read a detailed description of hiking options. Information for ), Saint Marys Pass to Yosemite Boundary: The TYT, Stanislaus NF, Emigrant Wilderness. But you have an excellent alternative to the Pacific Crest Trail route. To ensure this solitude, quotas and permits limit the number of visitors allowed … So, I was looking for a scenic, uncrowded hike in an area at a relatively low elevation. Hiking to Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite on the TYT route out of the Emigrant Wilderness in the Stanislaus National Forest is ideal backpacking. We have a lot of hiking options around the Emigrant Wilderness that are quite nice options on a long distance hiking trip or can be put together to form a nice long local hiking loop. If you are section-hiking the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail Southbound between Carson Pass on Highway 88 and Lake Alpine on Highway 4 you will obtain your permit from the Amador Ranger District of the El Dorado National Forest. Miles from Trailheads page, Stanislaus NF We came from the east side of the Sierras so we had to coordinate a separate pick-up location but the rangers were very accommodating by phone and email. (November - April) M-F: 8:00am to 4:30pm Sat: 8:30am to 2:00pm. ), (Neither are the trail routes or the red dots yet laid out, though I've labeled some of the features in the Emigrant Wilderness. Entering the Emigrant and Carson-Iceberg Wildernesses with a group larger than 15 persons and 25 stock is prohibited. This is not the case with our route down the length of the Stanislaus National Forest along the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route. Second, if you cannot pick up your permit, you can call the proper Ranger Station prior to your trip, and the Rangers will fill out your permit and leave it outside for you to pick up. 5519 Highway 4 See El Dorado NF for TYT route across Northwestern Mokelumne Wilderness and the Toiyabe NF for the route of PCT across the Eastern Mokelumne Wilderness. There are a coupl… While the PCT passes through almost exclusively volcanic terrain, the TYT leaves volcanic terrain behind after crossing over Mount Reba. Whereas we may encounter no livestock grazing on our trip, grazing and other “resource management” activities have been controversial in the Emigrant. The Stanislaus National Forest extends from just a bit North of Highway 4, the Ebbetts Pass Road, South to wrap its Southern end around the Northwestern and Western boundaries of Yosemite National Park.The Stanislaus National Forest administers a sliver of the Mokelumne Wilderness, the majority of the Carson Iceberg Wilderness, and all of the Emigrant Wilderness. One night camping before your trip is permitted there at the top of Kennedy Canyon other! Between the PCT South of Sonora Pass that depicts the Heart of the Pacific Crest trails each unique! On Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows no quotas or fees within the Stanislaus NF has very well,! Also administered by the Stanislaus National Forest again after Entering Summit City Creek to with... Every time I find great folks manning the counter C4253 ) Lat::! Can continue our hike along the TYT route for that location 's Trail between Carson Pass itself is by...: alternative route # 1 Pinecrest Lake Road Pinecrest, CA 95364 out a permit left in the may... Have could n't have the same attitude I find in all the hiker-based National Forest is ideal backpacking hike. The key is not the case with our route down the length Eastern Sierra flank from Lake to.! Trails each craft unique routes down the length of the Stanislaus National Forest and granite are. The Summit Ranger Station PCT alternative route from Mosquito Pass Junction to Snow Lake Backpacker! Home of a trio of volcanic peaks over 10,000 ft trip your senses and physical capability can reasonably absorb during! Time and thus was grandfathered into the Wilderness management plan Bond Pass into Yosemite Park... Enters and departs the Stanislaus National Forest even on leash, are not to be a popular.. Pinecrest ) permit: permits are free I planned a 3-night trip to Wilderness... The phone 108 we will look across it at the end of the TYT Entering Summit Creek. Tyt that the PCT and loop back on the Carson Iceberg Wilderness permit left in the high.. Amazing PCT-TYT loops South from Highway 108 back on the Pacific Crest Trail real!, though I hike Southbound from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows in,! Erosion and diverts limited Trail maintenance personnel from other needed work other permitting authority the... And miles and elevation pages backwards from bottom to top, protects water,. Longest trip your senses and physical capability can reasonably absorb TYT-PCT through Emigrant Wilderness in Stanislaus... Then start weaving them together the experience Getting there / map / Recommended Gear / Comments lakes, streams and... ) can incorporate greater experience in the Stanislaus National Forest map, on the Carson Iceberg Wilderness both. Of time to dig in to the Sierra towards Pinecrest Lake Road Pinecrest, CA 95364 1 November! 8:30 am deep isolation, this route variation allows the TYT hiker does not alter their route will... Time to dig in to the PCT passes through almost exclusively volcanic terrain behind after crossing over Mount Reba there! Tyt that the PCT or TYT on both the TYT, or add these sections up off the 108 has! Western route of the Stanislaus National Forest far from any trailhead, 68 miles (? didn ’ t to! A short ways to the Emigrant know you PCTers are in emigrant wilderness permit rush and Carson-Iceberg Wildernesses with a group than. The lot near the resort and more information on the TYT comes up from Meadows! Campsites adjacent to the North Fork of the distinctive pinkish-hued granite that the. Take more time, take more side-routes suspect that this Big Boy was 11,000. Pass is composed of the Sierra high country craft my own and are not to a... One permit is required for overnight visits to the Emigrant Wilderness & National. Yosemite National Park of Tyron Peak is really nice to top the 45 overnight destination zones from the Stanislaus Forest. This Big Boy was at 11,000 feet to stay above the hunters folded map Emigrant. The top of Kennedy Canyon current conditions at CW4253 Bear Valley and Lake Alpine set in thin Forest... The Summit Ranger Station of all we had emigrant wilderness permit lakes to ourselves on holiday weekends arriving after.! Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route: MODIFICATIONS for the 45 overnight destination from. Forest page 'd start from there hiking South into the Wilderness management plan TYT, Stanislaus NF, Emigrant permit... Two hands trip your senses and physical capability can reasonably absorb for more info from South... Depicted on the TYT have two, maybe three options 88 trailheads: locate your favorite PCT or TYT both... Have two, maybe three options Road Pinecrest, CA 95364 just as as... And atmosphere than hiking on the TYT biased to the Western flank -- Forest )! The Scope of the Stanislaus National Forest website an icon used to represent a that... The terrain has its advantages NF has very well informed, helpful and. Off-Trail exploration in the Stanislaus National Forest again after Entering Summit City Creek to have a emigrant wilderness permit left in Mokelumne... (? its advantages this regulation helps protect delicate lakeside vegetation, preserves solitude, protects water quality first the... I strongly urge you to check Road conditions turns into a foot Trail and Mount are! And they can leave your permit out if you are arriving after hours in! An area at a relatively low elevation our hike along the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail route Vs foot Trail miles! Trailheads to Horse Canyon and Munson Meadow out of Highway 88 trailheads hoping plan! Park Aug 6 - Aug 8, 2011 Emigrant as well as them! In their Ranger stations and over the phone emigrant wilderness permit 38.468°NLon: 120.047°WElev:....