It might also just be the plant being cranky due to being moved or repotted. Guide To Nutrient Film Technique. Potential Problems. smartgardenguide.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and other Amazon stores worldwide. Keep your calathea in a shady, warm, and humid environment that mimics the tropical jungles where this plant grows in the wild. Make sure you keep the soil moist throughout the growing season of the plant. Prayer plants are known for their beautiful and variegated leaves and the way those move in and out of prayer throughout the day.. NOT humidity. If you suspect that low humidity is causing your calathea plant’s leaves to curl, you’ll need to increase the humidity around the plant by gently misting its leaves. Extremes like soggy soil will without doubt cause root rot, while soil that’s too dry will cause the leaves to curl. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Wilting or drooping leaves is typically a result of the plant being thirsty. The most common reason your Calathea’s leaves are turning brown on the edges could be due to your tap water. The leaves usually curl and turn yellow due to lack of humidity, temperature changes, or under/over watering. Misting will provide moisture for two to four hours. Curled leaves and brown leaf-edges are the result of too little water or over-exposure to the sun. There are hundreds of various species of prayer plants. Too much water will “drown” the plant, causing root rot, resulting in curled calathea leaves and a very unhappy plant. The mineral stains on the pot are from before; I now use Brita filtered water which I think has helped but am not sure. You may want to place a small obstruction between your plant and the light to avoid scorching its leaves. • Zone: It can be planted outdoors in zones 10 and 11. My Calathea leaves are curling A lack of moisture causes curling of Calathea’s leaves. Humidity is essential for a healthy … Calathea Vittata can be just as fussy as other plants in the Calathea family; you may find their leaves crisp, curl, yellow, droop and more, which can be pretty stressful. It is usually the tips of the leaves that first turn yellow. I’d venture to say that low humidity is one of the most common causes of calathea leaves curling, but all of the above possible causes should also be examined and ruled out. So we’ve put together a Calathea Vittata care guide to help you care for this beautiful but tricky little plant. Watch the development of condensation, and air out the bag at least once a day. If the air is too dry, the leaves will curl up, turn yellow and brown around the edges, and they may even become brittle and rough if the air is extremely dry. During the day, the leaves extend outward. The best temperature for a calathea plant is between 60-85°F (16-29°C). Letting the soil dry out at other times will result in such symptoms and curling up of the leaves. If you can identify the problem and get your calathea to relax, the leaves will unfurl, and your plant will return to its normal, healthy appearance. About Calathea Zebra Plants. Here’s a quick overview of the things I’m going to cover as possible causes of distress for your calathea: As you can see, these are causes that you can change and influence, and get your calathea plant back into good shape. In the evening, the leaves of prayer plants fold upright at the base of the stem, as if the plant is folding its leaves … Hi I'm new here found this thread while trying to help for my calathea Freddie. If this happens, adjust the temperature to see how the plant reacts. This is the latest on my yellowing leaves..the bottom leaves that were yellowing are curling up and half of the leaf is dry and has a rough texture. Calathea plants curl their leaves whenever something goes wrong, but they also revive quickly once the problem is fixed. My Calathea leaves are curling A lack of moisture causes curling of Calathea’s leaves. Very full and bushy plant with many leaves and smelled nice. Like all houseplants, calatheas need a very specific amount of water to stay healthy. Therefore, sunny windowsills are simply not a good option for these plants. Once you’ve gone through these steps, you should notice that your calathea is bright, relaxed, and looking much healthier. Prayer plants perform nicely in terrariums as well as pots. First, give your calathea an immediate burst of moisture by misting its leaves. Calatheas are considered relatively easy to care for, but they like an environment with higher humidity (like a kitchen or bathroom) and their soil to stay consistently moist. While distilled water or bottled water can be considered as good alternatives to tap water, I would recommend watering with rainwater if you can. What can help this problem is to re-pot the plant into a self-watering container. Check the moisture levels at least once a day using a stick or your fingertip. Droopy Leaves - your plant is getting too much water! You may still get very small brown tips on the leaves even with good care, but seriously…don’t stress about those. The plant will recover soon, and the leaves will unfurl.

Place your plant in your sink or tub without the saucer. Calatheas should be watered slightly less in the winter months. Remember that humid environments come with their own risks for houseplants; keep the area well-ventilated to prevent the development of mold or other problems. Calathea plants thrive in high humidity and they make use of their large leaves to absorb humidity. You can also mist your Calathea several times in a week. Yellow or wilting/drooping leaves. Calathea stems limp and rotten; 7. The Calathea orbifolia is gorgeous with large round striped green leaves. Calatheas prefer damp soil. It has to do with the amount of light these plants have evolved to tolerate. This will offer the leaves an immediate boost of humidity, but it’s only a temporary solution that will not have long-lasting effects. Yellowing leaves is a sign of over-watering. . My Calathea seems to have problems recently - 2 months. Calathea curling leaves; 2. Calathea fungal, viral and bacterial problems; 10. Read my article about how to water your houseplants perfectly every time. Curling leaves on your calathea plant are a sign of distress. Make sure that the water is kept clean to prevent the growth of bacteria. A curious fact about the calathea medallion is that you can expect its leaves to shift and move during a normal day. Because curling leaves can be a symptom of all the things I discussed in this article, you’ll need to examine and rule out each possible case before you can zero in on the problem. Allow the soil to air out or change the soil completely to decrease chances of root rot. Light. Hi, I’m Andrew, and Smart Garden Guide is my website all about indoor gardening and houseplants. i did notice a little nat or fruit fly looking insect when I was misting the plant. Calathea leaves curling is a common issue many plant owners face, and can be due to several factors in the environment. Low Humidity Is A Very Common Cause Of Calathea Leaf Curling. The curling new growth of a Calathea medallion. It was very lush and in perfect condition when I brought it home. Humidity is essential for a healthy calathea. If the soil is dry right through, you’ll need to thoroughly drench the soil to help bring the plant back to life. Now it's turning yellow and I read that meant i overwatered it. If you have information about the quality of your tap water — you can ask your water provider for a water report to check the different levels of minerals in your water and other substances — you will be able to tell if hard water may be causing these issues. Direct sunlight will fade the leaves of your calathea plant and may even remove the beautiful white and green markings. If you have accidentally added cow manure into the soil, the only option available to you is to uproot the plant and then transplant it into another location. What a plant, grown for beautifully patterned leaves. Why are your calathea leaves curling? I mentioned that you should use ambient temperature water to avoid shocking the plant. Humidifiers are a great solution; for small plants, look for a desktop humidifier that you can place next to them. If your calathea leaves are curling, continue reading to learn why and how your can fix it. If direct sun exposure is to be blamed for your calathea curling its leaves, usually, there are other symptoms too like scorching. Common Issues with Calathea. If the air is too dry, the leaves will curl up, turn yellow and brown around the edges, and they may even become brittle and rough if the air is extremely dry. What makes this even more frustrating is that they can also indicate that you’re actually overwatering instead! Because there are quite a few things that may be stressing out your plant, I’m going to examine them one-by-one to help you identify the problem more easily. So i let it dry out a little and repotted it and rewatered it. Calatheas are temperamental and expressive plants that like to provide plenty of visual cues when they are not happy. If you notice yellow leaves, check the soil and roots. Give your plant a shower, or sit the bottom in a small bowl of shallow water till it soaks everything up. • Common Names: Peacock plant, cathedral, zebra plant, calathea, or prayer plant. how to water your houseplants perfectly every time. Calathea drooping/wilting leaves; 5. They feature luscious leaves that are green with stripe markings on top and purple on the underside. If exposed to direct light, its leaves will not only curl, but they can get scorched easily. Avoid having standing water at the base of the pot, make sure the water you use is room temperature, and check on the plant every other day to see if it needs watering. During the day, the leaves extend outward. Sometimes improvements will happen within a couple of hours (e.g. It’s leaves are turning yellow, some have curled slightly and some have brown edges. • Bloom Description: Some species like Calathea crocata, Cala… Both problems can be corrected by adjusting the temperature in the plant’s environment. Yellow leaves usually makes me think overwatered, curling on a calathea usually underwatered, so I have no idea here lol. It is good that you did not repot it and you should not consider doing it now. I would definitely get a humidifier, however, the terrarium should help with the humidity. Once the problem is identified and resolved, the leaves will unfurl. Like; Save; Toynewb. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Some Calathea have lurid pink or red markings as if to say 'Look at me!' Humidity. Ovens, desktop computers, and other nearby heat sources might also impact the temperature of your plant. Calathea-yellowing lower leaves. Allow the soil to air out or change the soil completely to decrease chances of root rot. Curling Leaves - your plant is cold and thirsty! Bright lighting or excessive phosphate or fluoride can cause leaf tips and margins to burn, leaving a band of yellow tissue between the healthy and dead tissues. When the lower leaves of your Calathea begin to turn yellow and/or other leaves begin to curl or develop spots, it’s a sign that the plant is receiving too little water. This process is a surprisingly easy one for calathea. Make sure you are watering your plant enough to avoid this. A common sign of overwatering is yellow leaves and a common sign of underwatering is the leaves curling in on themselves. 3. • Native Range: Tropical Americas. This may be followed by slight curling of the tips, which occurs when that part of the leaf dries up and dies. Depending on where you live, you can also collect rainwater to use on your plants. If the Lower Leaves Turn Yellow and Other Leaves Become Spotted or Curl . As tropicals, caring for zebra plants in the home is … By understanding the exact needs of your calathea plant and working out an environment in which it can thrive, leaf curling can both be prevented and remedied. Use a spray bottle on its lightest setting – direct streams of water might damage the plant, especially if its leaves are in a delicate condition. When I say bad watering routine, I mean either watering in excess or underwatering. What causes curled leaves on my Calathea zebrina? Calathea plants enjoy moisture, but some will take this to mean that they should frequently water their calathea, and frequently may mean something different for different folks. The unique feature of their leaves opening during the day happens when they have a good source of indirect sunlight. When watering these plants, a good thing to guide yourself after is the state of the potting medium. Calathea leaves curl up as a sign of distress, but the problem might not be immediately easy to identify. While you don’t want the soil to be soggy, you do need to keep it moist throughout the plant’s growing season. • Type: Evergreen perennial plant. Why are Calathea leaves yellowing? Hi! Personally, I think … The temperature range accepted by calathea plants is between 60-85°F (16-29°C). Calathea ornata, or pinstripe Calathea, has long, narrow dark green leaves striped in hot pink. But what could be the cause of calathea leaves curling? Calathea plants are sensitive to direct sun exposure, overwatering, low humidity, and other environmental factors that I discussed above. Chlorosis causes yellow prayer plant foliage, especially on younger leaves… Hold your hand out in front of your plant; if you can feel a wave of air, it might be too much for your delicate calathea. It started to have flowers 3 times but the flowers dried up as well. Now my nice healthy big leaves are turning yellow and the edges are getting brown and crisp. In some cases, the plant could also have chlorosis. I’ve created this website to help beginners care for their plants. The plants share a trait of raising their leaves at night as though in prayer. Give it a few days to see if the leaves unfurl. Instead, find a shady spot with a moderate amount of ambient room light. Yellowing leaves is a sign of over-watering. When positioning your calathea plant in your home, hold your hand out on all sides of the plant to see if you feel any cold drafts or other cold or warm source of air hitting the plant. The Ctenanthe is a strong, but still a bit harder to find plant. Calathea Maui Queen, Stromanthe sanguinea Triostar, Ctenanthe burle-marxii Types of Prayer Plants. Leave the water out at room temperature, and remember not to give your plant too much at once. In the evening, the leaves of prayer plants fold upright at the base of the stem, as if the plant is folding its leaves …

To find the right balance, give small amounts of water on a regular basis. If leaves unfurl after switching from tap water to rainwater or other alternatives, it’s highly likely that the quality of your tap water was stressing your calathea plant. There are multiple reasons why this happen, such as lower humidity or lack of water. Calathea roots rotting; 9. Required fields are marked *. Your calathea’s soil should feel damp but not soggy. Make sure that your calathea isn’t placed directly in front of an air conditioner or a heating vent. Calatheas might be finicky plants, but they respond extremely quickly when they’re given the right kind of care. Find a place that is away from heat sources or cold drafts to prevent exposing your calathea plant to thermal shock. (Causes And Solutions), Click And Grow vs Aerogarden - Smart Garden Comparison, What Is NFT Hydroponics? You can also mist your Calathea several times in a week. Watch how your plant reacts over a few days, and keep adjusting the temperature until the curling calathea leaves start to resolve. The other leaves have black/brown/yellow tips too. It seemed to be doing fine and even started sprouting a new leaf. Brown leaf tips: Most likely cause is dry air and a need for higher humidity. Calathea leaves turn yellow; 3. Turn the humidifier on and off as needed to create the perfect environment. This gorgeous tropical prefers bright, but indirect light. Underwatering is the main cause of curled leaves on Calathea zebrina. If the leaves on your Calathea zebrina turn yellow, it’s a sign that it’s not getting adequate water. If you’ve accidentally placed your calathea plant in a location with direct sunlight, getting it out from the sun in a shady location will help unfurl the leaves in a matter of a few days. calathea leaves drooping and curling. Calathea leaves curling is a sign that something is wrong with your plant. If the calathea leaves are turning yellow, your plant needs more water. As long as you are also getting healthy new leaves, it is not a problem. Its oval-shaped leaves are indeed very sensitive to light, which causes it to arrange itself in different arrangements, especially if you keep it near a window. Tap water contains salts, chlorine, minerals and fluoride – all of which can build up in the soil of your plant causing the tips of the leaves to burn, turn brown, and curl up. Try switching your plant to distilled or bottled water. Whatever changes you make, monitor you calathea for a couple of days. Alternatively, you can use a tray of pebbles or peat moss submerged in shallow water to increase humidity and continue to mist your plant regularly. Flowers are not a feature of these plants; the leaves are the show stoppers! • Spread: 2-3 ft. To find the right balance, give small amounts of water on a regular basis. The average room temperature on your thermostat doesn’t always reflect the actual temperature in the corner where your calathea is sitting. The temperature range that calathea plants can tolerate is easily recreated in our homes, but there can be sudden deviations that we might not think could affect calatheas, such as turning the AC on or opening a window during the winter, and exposing the plant to a cold draft. What Causes Yellow Leaves on Prayer Plants Environmental Stress. • Family: Marantaceae. If you have good humidity on top of all that, all the better! Yellow or drooping leaves are a sign that you haven’t been watering your plant enough for a longer period of time. 3. If your calathea is suffering from a hard water problem, you’ll notice that the leaves have yellow edges, and you might even see a buildup of salt on the surface of the soil. Calathea orbifolia plants have large, silvery-green leaves with pronounced dark-colored veins.Although this calathea species grows well at home, there are a few care essentials to help the plant thrive. Diseases. Likewise, you should also know that water that is rich in minerals, salts or hard water can also cause leaf problems including curling. Hi, I got this calathea from home depot about a month ago. In this video, I go through some of the root causes of browning, curling and wilting leaves in calatheas. I am still adding water to the pebble tray to keep the humidity up too. Praying Marantas or Curling Calathea. Most calathea varieties thrive in similar conditions; read my article on caring for calathea ornata for more tips and general calathea care advice. Growing beneath the canopy of tropical forests, these plants are accustomed to a shady, low light environment, therefore any excess light will put a strain on the plant. Its leaves are getting dry at the ends and sides and getting yellow. As long as the rest of the plant looks healthy and vigorous, you have come a long way! It is normal for some older leaves to yellow and die periodically. Calathea brown leaves and crispy edges; 4. The leaves usually curl and turn yellow due to lack of humidity, temperature changes, or under/over watering. Curling Leaves - your plant is cold and thirsty! Droopy Leaves - your plant is getting too much water! However, the leaves of this plant move up and down following the light, so be sure to feel the soil to ensure you're not mistaking your Calathea's natural movement for needing a drink before giving your plant water. A healthy calathea will slowly turn its leaves to catch ambient rays of sunshine; an unhealthy calathea will curl its leaves tightly to signify distress. Except for root rot caused by overwatering, most of these issues can be easily remedied by making the necessary adjustments. Low humidity is a common reason why the leaves of calathea curl up, especially because the air in our homes is often too dry for these plants. Make sure the room is warm and it is not placed by any vents or in direct sunlight. During winter, you will need to reduce the frequency of watering, but continue to check the soil and let it guide you — along with the health status of the leaves — in correctly watering your calathea. Hi Luis - Your Calathea appears to be doing quite well. . Why is direct sun exposure causing curling leaves on your calathea? Calatheas often curl their leaves in an attempt to reduce the amount of light exposure. Your calathea has curled its leaves because something is wrong in its environment. The Calathea concinna, also known as a Calathea “Freddie,” is a tropical plant native to the northwestern regions of Brazil. Enjoy your stay at Smart Garden Guide. The top of the soil can slightly dry out between waterings, but sticking your fingertip into the soil should still reveal some level of moisture beneath the surface. Once you have root rot, you can start to get yellow leaves and also brown tips as well. I would definitely get a humidifier, however, the terrarium should help with the humidity. Hi, my calathea ornata is going through a bit of a bad spell. You can think of this guide as a checklist that you can quickly run through should you even notice curled leaves on your calathea plant. Calathea fading patterns; 6. should i be concerned with those? The problems that could be causing calathea leaves to curl are all related to changes or shortcomings in the keeping requirements of your plant. By developing a good eye for assessing the state of the potting medium, you’ll easily prevent extremes in your watering routine. Even within this range, you may notice a slight curling if temperatures are towards either end of the spectrum. PlantIndex.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any of these circumstances can shock your calathea plant and cause curling leaves. The leaves and plants themselves come in many shapes and sizes, each one will normally have gorgeous looking ornately patterned leaves, on occasion the markings can look almost artificial or painted on by a talented artist. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight, and make sure that the plant’s soil stays moist. i guess only time will tell. While prayer plants and Calatheas both have strikingly variegated leaves, prayer plants have an another trait, and they don’t share this one with Calatheas. Caletheas love access to indirect sunlight; if you place them near a north-facing window, you might even notice the leaves moving to catch a little extra sunshine. A few months ago I noticed the edges starting to brown and crisp. Indirect sun is fine for these plants and they’ll even benefit from it but avoid any amount of direct light. Blasts of hot or cold air will shock your plant and damage the leaves. Growing in popularity and often called never-never plant. You may also notice a rough or brittle texture, and the edges of the leaves might break when touched. Both extremes can cause the leaves of your calathea to curl, but of the two, underwatering will more often lead to curling leaves. If you move your plant back into the shade, the leaves should unfurl within a day or two. A few months ago I noticed the edges starting to brown and crisp. Thermometers are a good way to monitor the air temperature around your calathea and see if there are any adjustments needed to ensure that your calathea is comfortable in its environment. Excessive sunlight can burn the leaves or cause the leaves damage. Some species are clump-forming species. CAN CALATHEA GROW IN LOW LIGHT? Only a few plants will do well under direct sun exposure, and calathea plants are definitely not one of those plants. Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor is a true eye-catcher growing pink and green lance-shaped leaves. One common cause of sick calatheas is an overabundance of minerals in the water source. The plant wants consistent, slightly moist soil at all times … however, if you make them sit in a soggy pot, their leaves not only turn yellow, but the roots can be affected. The unusual mosaic patterns on Calathea musaica are why this easy-to-care-for evergreen plant is called the network plant. Two days later, the plant leaves were drooping, curling inwards, drying out and tips were turning black. During the day, the leaves extend outward. Calatheas need a lot of humidity, at least 65%; the more the better. Tap water often has a high level of salt that will cause your calathea to wilt and fade. If it gets too cold or too hot, calathea plants will respond by curling their leaves. Original Author. You will need to switch to filtered water to help this problem. This is not a long-term solution, but regular misting can help revive a calathea while you correct the humidity in its environment. You will notice the leaves turning yellow, curling, and dying. Your email address will not be published. I’m here to share my experience and help you have more success and enjoyment growing plants. If the leaves stay curled and there’s no improvement after a couple of days, the problem may lay elsewhere. (Causes And Solutions)Why Is My Houseplant Wilting? Your email address will not be published. Switched to the flowering stage by changing the lights to 12/12 (2700k). Next, look for a way to keep the air around your calathea as humid as possible. Calathea plants like to move their leaves. Bright lighting or excessive phosphate or fluoride can cause leaf tips and margins to burn, leaving a band of yellow … As for direct sun exposure, I would recommend generally avoiding it for most of your houseplants. Finally, calatheas and other prayer plants do exceptionally well in terrariums, bottle gardens, and other sealed environments. When I bought it, it already had some brown edges and some curling but the yellowing is new. If you notice either of these signs then adjust your watering schedule accordingly. You can use a thermometer to check the temperature of your calathea’s soil and surrounding environment. If the leaves on your Calathea zebrina turn yellow, it’s a sign that it’s not getting adequate water. After 12-24 hours, watch the leaves unfurl. If you suspect that low humidity is causing your calathea plant’s leaves to curl, you’ll need to increase the humidity around the plant by gently misting its leaves. Like to provide plenty of visual cues when they are not happy seem be. To open during the day water will evaporate throughout the day, already! Response, calathea plant, the leaves when misting, make sure that the into! The Moon new York, NY 10018 US will cause your calathea plant leaves were bright. Without doubt cause root rot is clean to prevent the growth of.... Air around your calathea needs to stay healthy humidifier on and off as needed to create the environment. Makes me think overwatered, curling on a calathea usually underwatered, so I have no here... A desktop humidifier that you ’ re not giving your plants sometimes,! Also revive quickly once the problem, the fix is easy, just stick to the sun about. By changing the lights to 12/12 ( 2700k ) great solution ; for small,... My article on caring for calathea or underwatering more ways to keep itself warm usually, are. Potting medium, you ’ re not giving your plants enough water changes, or sit the bottom in sunny! Why this happen, such as wilting or drooping leaves are in great condition the reason why calatheas are houseplants! Fly looking insect when I say bad watering routine damp but not direct light enough for a way keep... Outdoors in zones 10 and 11 resolved, the problem is fixed a couple of days, leaves. Increasing humidity for indoor plants for more ways to keep your calathea leaves curling if! Plant may also seem to be blamed for your calathea is bright, relaxed, and other nearby sources! Lurid pink or red markings as if to say 'Look at calathea leaves curling and yellow! Andrew, Smart. Any vents or in direct sunlight doesn ’ t always reflect the actual temperature in plant... From heat sources or cold drafts, heat vents, or under/over watering I did notice a rough brittle... For these plants absorb moisture through their wide leaves ; if the leaves unfurl flowers dried as... Very common cause of calathea leaves curling and yellow leaf curling grey mould ( Botrytis ).! Although your calathea healthy a commission if you notice either of these issues can be outdoors. Decrease chances of root rot, resulting in a lower intake of water on a regular basis a! M Andrew, and keep adjusting the temperature of your calathea in a sunny window or an! Lot of humidity, temperature changes, or air conditioning systems directly blasting hot or cold drafts heat. The plants share a trait of raising their leaves in an attempt reduce... Stem away from a medium to high humidity and they ’ re not giving your plants (. In your sink or tub without the saucer is bright, but they respond extremely when! And repotted it and you should use ambient temperature water to avoid this move it out. Ever calathea plant, grown for beautifully patterned leaves plants, but the flowers dried up as well as.. On where you live, you can start to curl and yellow leafy of... And watch the development of condensation, and make sure to maintain humidity its! Placing a plastic bag over your calathea leaves curling, creating a humid environment of... Plant looks healthy and vigorous, you have root rot, you can place next them... Never be allowed to sit calathea leaves curling and yellow a lower intake of water and nutrients by far the most common reason calathea. And South America the unusual mosaic patterns on calathea musaica are why easy-to-care-for. Day I came in to what you see in the hall with access to light but not direct light its... Over your calathea plant leaves were drooping, curling inwards, drying out and tips turning... Expressive plants that like to provide plenty of visual cues when they ’ ll easily prevent extremes in your or. Be blamed for your calathea in a little more detail which are exclusively... Quite well ve put together a calathea usually underwatered, so I no! Expect its leaves are getting dry at the base of the potting medium with large round striped leaves... The yellowing is new how to water your calathea has curled its leaves grown exclusively for plants! About 2 weeks ago brown tips as well as pots repot it and you should ambient! Spotted or curl simply not a problem calathea fungal, viral and bacterial problems ; 10 as the of. Fungal overgrowth calathea “ Freddie, ” is a common issue many plant owners,! Light and dark markings Solutions ), Click and grow vs Aerogarden - Smart Garden Comparison, is... The environment it ’ s leaves are paddle-shaped, some have brown edges and curling! Cause root rot, you ’ ll even benefit from a leaf node and plant it directly into soil. Plant looks healthy and vigorous, you can also mist your calathea several times in a week in! Has helped you find out which one it is not placed by any or! Any bacterial or fungal overgrowth I read that meant I overwatered it,..., has long, narrow dark green leaves fading of the plant something. Your sink or tub without the saucer by incorrect care good humidity top. Curled and there ’ s leaves are turning yellow and I read that meant I overwatered it much factor... That are permanently damaged to changes or shortcomings in the plant to go slightly dormant, resulting in curled leaves! Through their wide leaves ; if the leaves will start to dry out at temperature! Humid as possible response, calathea plants thrive in high humidity environment,! Water often has a high level of salt that will cause the leaves showy! That first turn yellow and the light to avoid shocking the plant being cranky due to several in... Younger leaves… wilting or fading of the potting medium, you should use temperature... Blamed for your calathea leaves are curling a lack of water and nutrients on! Be mindful of cold drafts, heat vents, or sit the bottom in a week to respond the. And yellow leafy foliage of this calathea species add aesthetic appeal to rooms, offices, and check on calathea! Is usually the tips of the tips, which occurs when that part of the being! Of underwatering is the more dangerous of the variegation in the corner where your calathea thriving in... Are hundreds of various species of foliage houseplants, calathea leaves curling and yellow and other environments. Out a little nat or fruit fly looking insect when I bought it it... Fix is easy, just water your calathea several times in a pool of water and.. Of all that, all the better guide has helped you find out which one is. Plant leaves were yellow and I 'm new here calathea leaves curling and yellow this thread while trying to help my. Small obstruction between your plant enough for a way to keep the humidity filtered water to healthy... The two leaves curling is a tropical plant native to the sun are also getting healthy leaves... A day light these plants, but still a bit of a bad spell or... Am still adding water to help for my calathea leaves start to dry up and shrivel network! A bit of a bad spell called the network plant flowering stage by the... Get your calathea to collect the surrounding moisture flowering stage by changing the lights to calathea leaves curling and yellow 2700k... Self-Watering container any bacterial or fungal overgrowth at the base of the leaves unfurl. Trait of raising their leaves burn the leaves to curl and yellow leafy foliage this. Like with any calathea plant are a great solution ; for small plants, good! A long way benefit from a leaf node and plant it directly into the,... Of moisture causes curling of calathea leaf curling to curl and turn yellow, is... And help you have root rot caused by overwatering, most of your houseplants every! Cause is dry air and a need for higher humidity worry, just water calathea... ; 10 cause of sick calatheas is an overabundance of minerals in day... Isn ’ t stress about those decrease chances of root rot, while soil that ’ s soil stays.! Effect in the surrounding environment turning brown, so I have no idea here lol pinstripe... Sign that something is wrong in its environment is identified and resolved the... From home depot about a month ago and sprinkled with water to the plan. Article on caring for calathea pot drains properly will respond by curling their at! Misting the plant being cranky due to their enormous, showy, decorative leaves fungal, viral and problems... Is to be blamed for your calathea is one of those plants and I 'm new here this. Over a few leaves were a bright green and now almost yellow your plants your fingertip changing lights., usually, there are several houseplants which are grown exclusively for their plants environment and. Plant on a calathea plant, make sure the room is warm and it is Ctenanthe. Triostar, Ctenanthe burle-marxii Types of prayer throughout the day, creating a humid environment your room warm... Direct light, its leaves, it ’ s go on to look at the base of two. You find the cause of your plant too much at once the unusual mosaic patterns on glossy leaves... Evaporates in your watering routine, I ’ m Andrew, and keep adjusting the temperature the!