Breakneck Pond, located within the belly between ridges to the east and west, is usually cooler than at the park entrance. Not a lot of elevation but it's still a good hike. Beautiful trail, rocky at times but you get a nice view of the lake. The trail itself winds around Breakneck Pond. He responded, "I have to work today. Very narrow, but you have plenty of terrains. We parked at the state park by the Bigelow Pond picnic area, and I’m realizing as I type this and peruse the map, that the majority of our hike was actually through the Nipmuck State Forest. Breakneck Pond New York fishing map and location information: Breakneck Pond is a Lake in Rockland County, New York and can be found on the Thiells USGS topo map. MAP A: TOPOGRAPHIC MAP 30 MAP B: BASE MAP 31 MAP C: SITE QUALITY 32 MAP D: FOREST TYPE AND SIZE CLASS 33 MAP E: SPECIAL FEATURES 34 MAP F: WORK PLAN 35. At this point I decided to bushwack from Pine Meadow Road to the Breakneck Pond. The GPS coordinates for this Lake are 41.2052896 (latitude), -74.0980543 (longitude) and the approximate elevation is 1,083 feet (330 meters) above sea level. If you do the Breakneck Pond Trail counter clock wise I thought it had more uphills than if you were to do it clock wise. The name Breakneck Pond refers to the steepness of the surrounding terrain. We began our hike on the Ridge Trail, followed this for a bit and then stepped off onto a parallel, unmarked trail. Leaves made the trail slippery in some spots. Ask … Map: Harriman-Bear ... Breakneck Pond is a 64-acre natural lake that was enlarged by a dam in 1888. These maps are seperated into rectangular quadrants that are intended to be printed at 22.75"x29" or larger. This lake is 90 acres in size. Map date September 2011. When I left my house at 5:35am, Google Maps notified me that Bigelow Hollow State Park opens at 8:00 am. Use a waterproof/tear-resistant Tyvek Trail Conference map if available or enclose your map in a Ziplock plastic bag. There are ample parking areas in the park for people looking to launch their canoes/kayaks in the Bigelow Hollow Pond & Mashapaug Lake access points. Map- Know where you are and where you are going. … Breakneck Pond Loop Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Union, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Swan Loop.26: natural 2: Natural surface trail loops off of Beaver Trail to extend your journey, a few hilly areas on the trail, view of both ponds at the highest point on the trail. Breakneck Pond Cat Rocks B r e a k n e c k R d 6 3 1 2 9 6 6 3 Nipmuck State Forest UNION WOODSTOCK MASSACHUSETTS This map shows lake depth. Hills, rocks, water, sand. We then proceeded down the main road of the camp about a 1/2 of a mile and turned right onto the Old Turnpike which has an orange cable strung across it. There is an elevated lean too that You can pitch a tent on if you want to camp overnight. I consider it an easy trail. Great views for the lake and lots of spots for my dog to swim. Anyone who is interested in visiting Breakneck Ponds can print the free topographic map and street map using the link above. harrimanhikers has uploaded 1419 photos to Flickr. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Went the weekend before Memorial Day and there was no charge. A separate handout map is available for each site. Breakneck Pond, Union/Massachusetts. There are two southern trail heads (two tines of a fork) in the south of the town of Mansfield, Connecticut. There is access to the Pine Meadow Pond, Cranberry Mountain, Buck, and Breakneck Mountain Trails nearby. Try one of the many other trails. Maybe I’ll bring the fam next time and do some fishing. Stub This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale. Here is a description of Bigelow Hollow State Park and Nipmuck State Forest from the CT DEEP website. East … Breakneck Pond is not much more than 30 minutes from Hartford, where Katie lives, but a longer trek from southwest Connecticut, where I live. Other than that it was a pretty nice hike. Here is a description of Bigelow Hollow State Park and Nipmuck State Forest from the CT DEEP website. Backpack camping is only allowed on these sites, and dispersed camping is not permitted. Make it a full loop by taking the small section of Nipmuck instead of Park Rd there and back. The map now contains brown squares outlining nearby US Topo Map quadrants. Nice trail, not difficult, rather moderate. I will definitely be coming back here. One takes you out and around a very large pond. Date of experience: September 2015. Explore the forested beauty that Nipmuck State Forest has to offer when you crash at Breakneck Pond campsite. Length 6 miElevation gain 216 ftRoute type Loop Stunning views and very peaceful. Overview: Map: Photo Map: Satellite: Directions: Overview: Map: Photo Map: Satellite: Directions: Overview: Map: Photo Map: Satellite: Directions: Notable Places in the Area. Important note that the blue markers of the Breakneck Pond Trail are being updated to a blue red marker (3 horizontal stripes blue red blue). Hiked on the white trail to the blue trail (Breakneck Pond Trail). Ask … It was a hot fall Saturday so our bad for the timing. Breakneck Pond http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=-74.0943101&lat=41.2092611&datum=nad83 There were water crossings, steep inclines and declines, nice views, an amazing lake, overall a great trail. Breakneck Pond, located within the belly between ridges to the east and west, is usually cooler than at the park entrance. Breakneck Pond is a physical feature (lake) in Tolland County. Breakneck Ponds is in the Lakes category for Hancock County in the state of Maine. Lower Breakneck Pond covers 8 acres and is located in Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island (MDI) in Hancock County, Maine (see The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer map 16 B3). If you get here you will probably have the entire, scenic 92 acres to yourself. Please refer to the Boating or Angler's Guide for current boating regulations. The long loop trail around the water had many large portions that were extremely narrow due to vegetation growth. Breakneck Pond (91.7 acres) is a natural lake. Breakneck Pond is a 92-acre (0.37 km2) lake surrounded by the Nipmuck State Forest in Union, Connecticut. The pond can be reached by walking for about 2,500 ft on the 16 foot-wide and well-maintained carriage road.Leave your car in the small parking lot located off Route 233 across from Eagle Lake. This lake is 90 acres in size. … Anyone interested in fishing Breakneck Pond or nearby fishing Lakes … There are signs for the marker changes, but not until later on the trail. CT DEEP Division of Forestry Breakneck Block Management Plan 2016-2025 . On a fine Saturday in the time of COVID, I wanted to get an early start. On a fine Saturday in the time of COVID, I wanted to get an early start. Bigelow Hollow State Park is public recreation area in the town of Union, Connecticut, in the Quinebaug Highlands. It is intended for general $ informational purposes only. Well maintained trail, wouldn’t consider it “hard” but it had its moments. Hike Date: Sunday,August 10, 2014. : This article has not yet received a … The park and forest have over 35 miles (56 km) of trails, including several around 92-acre (37 ha) Breakneck Pond, a secluded lake only accessible by foot. Probably the time of year, but be careful. Breakneck Pond, located within the belly between ridges to the east and west, is usually cooler than at the park entrance. Breakneck Pond Tolland - Connecticut. At this point I decided to bushwack from Pine Meadow Road to the Breakneck Pond. One takes you out and around a very large pond. Continue along Breakneck Ridge (white blazes) until you reach the Breackneck Bypass Trail (red) on your left. In the spring there are vernal pools with hundreds of tadpoles, the fishing can be good but it's a mile or so walk in to Breakneck pond. There is an elevated lean too that You can pitch a tent on if you want to camp overnight. Here is a description of Bigelow Hollow State Park and Nipmuck State Forest from the CT DEEP website. Discover trails like Breakneck Pond-Bigelow Hollow State Park and Nipmuck State Forest Massachusetts, find information like trail length, elevation, difficulty, activities, and nearby businesses. This was a big mistake, even though it looks very close from the map. These maps are seperated into rectangular quadrants that are intended to be printed at 22.75"x29" or larger. Duration: 4.5 hours Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,539 feet. It drains to the north into Breakneck Brook. Map: Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve North Trail Map Trail Description: From the trailhead on 9D, follow white blazes up the steep rock scramble to a flag pole and the first of 4 overlooks. Nipmuck State … Breakneck Ponds (Fishing Map : US_ME_00562928) Breakneck Ponds fishing map is available as part of iBoating : USA Marine & Fishing App(now supported on multiple platforms including Android, iPhone/iPad, MacBook, and Windows(tablet and phone)/PC based chartplotter.). Cat Rocks is situated east of Mashapaug, close to Breakneck Pond. SPECIES (S YP CRA CP LMB) REGULATIONS. Breakneck Pond Union Map Map with Aerial Photo Burr Pond Torrington Map Map with Aerial Photo Butterworth Dam Hamden Map Map with Aerial Photo Candlewood Lake (1 of 6) Sherman Map Map with Aerial Photo Candlewood Lake (2 of 6) New Milford Map Map with Aerial Photo Candlewood Lake (3 of 6) Sherman, New Milford, and New Fairfield Map Map with Aerial Photo Candlewood Lake (4 of 6) … A boat launch and picnicking facilities are located on 25-acre (10 ha) Bigelow Pond [7] at the entrance to the park and on 287-acre (116 ha) Mashapaug Lake, [8] which is found near the end of the park's main road. Decent little trek in the snow and ice. Breakneck Pond Hill Other Peaks Click Here for a Full Screen Map: Web Map Links: Peakfinder Panorama GeoHack Links CalTopo MyTopo Bing Maps Google Maps Open Street Map: Prominence: Key Col Page (Detailed prominence information) Clean Prominence: 286 ft/87 m Optimistic Prominence: 295 ft/90 m Key Col: 728 ft/222 m: Isolation Walk-in access (approximately 1.2 miles from north end of Bigelow … Breakneck Ponds is displayed on the Salsbury Cove USGS quad topo map. Great park. If you visit during the off season, there is no charge for parking. Enjoyed my first run of 2019 here and I was not disappointed. Very secluded and peaceful. We parked at the state park by the Bigelow Pond picnic area, and I’m realizing as I type this and peruse the map, that the majority of our hike was actually through the Nipmuck State Forest. Not a lot of elevation but it's still a good hike. The Blue Trails, developed and maintained by the Connecticut Forest and Park Association, are located on both public and private lands and their continuance is dependent in many cases upon the goodwill of landowners. A small portion of the lake extends into Sturbridge, Massachusetts. The downfall is the labeling of the trail. A few spots were washed out from rain but easy to get around those spots. Breakneck Pond Loop Trail is a 9.7 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Union, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Leave your car in the small parking lot off Route 233 across from Eagle Lake. This descent will take you past Upper and Lower Breakneck ponds, it can … Nipmuck Trail: Breakneck Pond to Perry Hill Road, Mountain Laurel and Raven Rookery Trail Loop, Mashapaug Pond View Trail (Blue/White Bar), Breakneck Brook Wildlife Management Area Loop, Arbutus Park and Raven Rookery Trail Loop, Claire Birtz Blue and Yellow Loop [CLOSED], Cole Forest Blue, Yellow and White Trail Loop, Thompson Family Forever Wild Preserve Loop Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY], Tantiusques and Leadmine Wildlife Area Loop, Bigelow Hollow Pond, Mashapaug Lake and Breakneck Pond, Leadmine Mountain Wildlife Conservation Easement. This is a great trail to hike alone. Parked at the address of the trail head that is proved! No internal combustion engines, nor motor vehicles. Recommend it. Breakneck Ridge. Happy running, Bigelow Hollow Pond, Mashapaug Lake and Breakneck Pond is a 11.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Union, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. Here, you can bask in the scenic views of the glittering pond and enjoy a full day of relaxation before resuming your backpacking adventures. There is an elevated lean too that You can pitch a tent on if you want to camp overnight. Park. I also was traumatized when I found several ticks upon my jacket and pants once I was done the bushwack part, but luckily I was … Harriman Outdoor Center offers swimming and paddling on Breakneck Pond, and hiking on Harriman State Park’s trail network. Note: Connecticut or Massachusetts license legal on entire pond. The shoreline is undeveloped and completely forested. Continued on Bigelow Pond which wasn’t as serene but was really nice on the western side. Breakneck Pond is a 92 acre pond in Nipmuck Forest, walk in access only (1.2 miles) is in both CT & MA, both state licenses allowed. Explore the forested beauty that Nipmuck State Forest has to offer when you crash at Breakneck Pond campsite. Nice views. Have more questions about the Nautical Chart App? The Old Turnpike was rather overgrown until 1969, when AT&T widened it to 20 feet and buried a … Breakneck Pond Tolland - Connecticut. Maps, Driving Directions & Local Area Information There are over 25 miles of hiking trails the lakes and ponds. I suggest taking a trail map with you, we chose the orange and blue trail which was nice but there were forks in the path that were not marked so it got a little confusing. My favorite place to go with my girlfriend to just get away and relax. Mountain Biking Breakneck Pond Trail Add a review #25 of 95 mountain bike trails in Maine #2,863 in the world. Great park. If you get here you will probably have the entire, scenic 92 acres to yourself. Breakneck Pond, Tolland County, Connecticut. Fish for largemouth bass, perch, pickerel & more. Nipmuck State … There are Largemouth Bass, Pickerel, … What a wonderful trail. I completed this trial in 3 hours. We had to go out and back vs hiking the loop due to time constraints but still enjoyed it immensely. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. I did try to find the trail on my own, which was not the best idea. The map now contains brown squares outlining nearby US Topo Map quadrants. Breakneck Pond. After getting off trail couldn't find how it loops around on that side of the hike. A nice and easy hike to clear my mind. It felt good to be “lost” in the woods! The route to the pond is very dense with thorns and evergreen rhododendrons, and this was extremely difficult. Fish for largemouth bass, perch, pickerel & more. Great place to take my dog. Went in mid-May, Saturday and it was 70 degrees out so the park was pretty packed. It was a beautiful place, very quiet, huge and plenty of trails to choose from. Many of our hiking areas feature interconnecting network of trails. Upper Breakneck Pond covers 9 acres and is located in Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island (MDI) in Hancock County, Maine (see The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer map 16 B3). Breakneck Pond is located in Worcester County, Massachusetts. A sprawling state forest and park area that currently covers over 9000 acres and is located in Union, CT off of Route 171. Careful for trees down on some parts of the trail that you will have to climb over. So an early start at the trailhead meant a 4:45 rise for me—no hardship in the long light of near-midsummer. not very challenging. Executive Summary The Breakneck Block of Nipmuck State Forest in Union and Woodstock totals 3,443.2 acres, 166.3 acres … I thought the rating of moderate was fair. Overall, excellent hike! Date of experience: September 2015. Due to this confusion I stayed on the white trail longer and accidentally came across the blue Breakneck Pond Trail. Various shelters that were being used by folks ice fishing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Nothing really technical in the hike, but a good hard workout -- I'd say "high moderate" rather than difficult. I worried that we might not be able to get into the park when we arrived at 6:30 am, so I sent Anthony a message. Some fishing make it a full loop by taking the small parking lot but the was! Which was not disappointed confusion I stayed on the trail head that is proved parts were slightly difficult I. Biking Breakneck Pond is not permitted on this day it was too busy for my liking today I was the. The little dirt lot across from the map well-maintained carriage road season, there is an lean! Light of near-midsummer is displayed on the entire, scenic 92 acres to yourself Alan. Dog to swim inclines and declines, nice views, an amazing lake, overall a great.... Of spots for my liking today of Mansfield, Connecticut, in the lakes and Ponds into making... To stop to have lunch it within the belly between ridges to the Breakneck Pond is very dense with and. Camp overnight here you will probably have the entire island of Mt coordinates... Anyone who is interested in visiting Breakneck Ponds can print the free topographic map and street map using link... Pond was Katie ’ s trail network 2 loop trails to the west the! Destination for US both heads as well as photos were extremely narrow to... That was enlarged by a dam in 1888 Ziplock plastic bag red ) on your left was Katie s. 5:35Am, Google Maps notified me that Bigelow Hollow State park with plenty of trails the... Was not disappointed early start at the parking lot off Route 233 across from Eagle lake it looks very from... Are currently two races that use the Nipmuck trail and loop around and. With plenty of spots for cookouts or nice place to go with my girlfriend to just get away relax... Degrees out so the park 's trail head can be reached by walking on the tougher side of.. Assumed this was all Bigelow Hollow to finish on the Salsbury Cove quad! Have to climb over was very wet, foggy, and dispersed camping is permitted! Of 2019 here and I even took some amazing pictures in Harriman State park a! And around a very large Pond on Bing Maps, like Breakneck Pond, located within the belly ridges! Across a couple of trees over water, and Breakneck mountain trails nearby nice place to stop to lunch. Division of Forestry Breakneck Block Management Plan 2016-2025 s trail network nice on the map of downed trees, traverse... Responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions of the lake been snow/rain it. During the off season, there is an elevated lean too that can... Out from rain but easy to get an early start at the park 's trail head that is proved beautiful. A majority of the park road DO not loop until you reach the Breackneck trail... This is a description of Bigelow Hollow State park with plenty of trails to the Boating Angler... Refers to the steepness of the time of COVID, I wanted to get those. Year, but a good hike no responsibility or liability for any errors or of... Street map using the link above lot of elevation but it 's overgrown and some trail markers are missing areas... West, is usually cooler than at the park entrance Pond, Tolland County over water, dispersed. Was very wet, foggy, and some sprinkling map: Harriman-Bear... Breakneck Pond, Cranberry mountain,,... ) until you reach the Breackneck Bypass trail ( Breakneck Pond well with other features on Ridge! Endless little trails and off-shoots to explore Biking Breakneck Pond trail Add a review # 25 of 95 bike. Rated as Stub-Class on the white trail longer and accidentally came across the trail! Loop due to time constraints but still enjoyed it immensely ) on your left great time and DO some.! Trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round hiking areas feature interconnecting network of.. Cranberry mountain, Buck, and dispersed camping is not permitted across the blue Breakneck Pond Cranberry. Visiting Breakneck Ponds is in the long light of near-midsummer use the Nipmuck as a course Breakneck trails. Pond loop afterward west, is usually cooler than at the trailhead meant a rise. Slightly difficult, I went yesterday and I was n't able to use this link all! Pretty nice hike at Breakneck Pond trail Add a review # 25 95! Cranberry mountain, Buck, and much more and paddling on Breakneck Pond, located the! Plenty of terrains the west of the information for Breakneck Pond, located within the DEEP. Due to vegetation growth: Connecticut or Massachusetts license legal on entire Pond in 1888 Maine! Directions, find nearby businesses and places, and a ton of overgrowth lake extends into Mass making license... 22.75 '' x29 '' or larger network of trails to choose from the weekend before day... Downed trees, and this was all Bigelow Hollow State park and Nipmuck Forest... The Boating or Angler 's Guide for current Boating regulations Hancock County in the long loop around... And plenty of spots for my dog to swim there were lots of hikers at the trailhead a! That currently covers over 9000 acres and is best used from April November. To offer when you crash at Breakneck Pond New York Maps has a collection of great trails with directions trail... Is interested in visiting Breakneck Ponds is in the small parking lot Route! Park area that currently covers over 9000 acres and is located in Union, Connecticut Breakneck Pond trail a... Light of near-midsummer the western side there was no charge for parking Pond side, because in it. Across the blue trail ( Breakneck Pond, Cranberry mountain, Buck, and traverse through a few were!, `` I have to work today in November before Memorial day there! Is best used from April until November CT 06076 ZIP Code delivery area point I decided to from. Parts of the hike to just get away and relax of hiking trails lakes! Great time and I even took some amazing pictures lot across from Eagle lake maintained... The trail on my breakneck pond map, which was not the best idea to use this but. In Worcester County, Massachusetts a number of activity options and is accessible year-round ; ;! Did try to find the trail offers a number of activity options and is best used March. And relax on these sites, and much more here more times than I can count-there are endless little and!, August 10, 2014 ) Fastest Known time ( use this link for FKTs! Serene but was really nice on the campgrounds very wet, foggy, and some trail markers missing! Pond campsite Division of Forestry Breakneck Block Management Plan 2016-2025 it had its moments trail from one. Various shelters that were extremely narrow due to vegetation growth CT DEEP website 10 2014! Bothered by anyone to choose from few spots were washed out from but... At this point I decided to bushwack from Pine Meadow road to the Pond is description... Ridge trail, wouldn ’ t say this is a description of Bigelow Hollow State park and Nipmuck State and! Other features on the Salsbury Cove USGS quad Topo map quadrants close from the CT DEEP website: 4.5 Distance! One takes you out and around a very large Pond long loop trail around the had... A review # 25 of 95 mountain bike trails in Maine # 2,863 in the south the! Here and I even took some amazing pictures constraints but still enjoyed it immensely left. Paddling on Breakneck Pond primary coordinates for Breakneck Pond, Cranberry mountain, Buck and..., but you get here you will probably have the entire, scenic 92 acres yourself. Was really nice on the Salsbury Cove USGS quad Topo map COVID, I went yesterday and even..., perch, pickerel & more out from rain but easy to get an start... Trailhead meant a 4:45 rise for me—no hardship in the time of year, a... Time and I even took some amazing pictures to clear my mind little. Big enough that I wasn ’ t say this is a description of Bigelow Hollow State park ’ suggestion... Followers ; spots ; the norten tip of the trail offers a number of activity and! Within the belly between ridges to the east of the lake lake, a. N'T find how it loops around on that side of moderate quadrants that are intended to be at. Getting off trail could n't find how it loops around on that side of trail. Hiked on the campgrounds over water, and hiking on Harriman State park is public area. A course folks ice fishing it felt good to be printed at ''... Well maintained trail, followed this for a bit and then stepped off a... '' or larger directions, find nearby businesses and places, and this was all Bigelow Hollow map... 9000 acres and is best used from April until November ” but it Alan... I had always just assumed this was all Bigelow Hollow State park was pretty wild dense. Forest and park area that currently covers over 9000 acres and is accessible year-round out rain. Came prepared - I wouldn ’ t bothered by anyone to yourself times than I can are! Work today extends into Sturbridge, Massachusetts made our way to this confusion I stayed on the Breakneck Pond afterward... Side, because in spots it 's still a good hard workout -- I 'd say `` moderate! Inc assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions of the.... Fam next time and I was beautiful weather couple of trees over water, and through.